Two Start Pitchers for Week 3 (4/8/19 - 4/14/19)
We've got a laundry list of two-start pitchers coming up this week for April 8th through April 14th, and here at Fighting Chance, we're going to sort through them so you don't have to! I've separated them into many different tiers. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you to start Corey Kluber or Blake Snell, but I did add some tidbits on those down the line if you're looking to differentiate between the options to add to your roster for the coming week. As always, please follow me on Twitter @ktompkinsii for any questions pertaining to lineups, roster decisions, or anything in between? Without further adieu...
Corey Kluber, CLE (4/9 @ DET - Zimmerman) & (4/14 @ KC - Junis)
Blake Snell, TB (4/8 @ CHW - Rodon) & (4/14 @ TOR - Stroman)
Aaron Nola, PHI (4/8 vs. WAS - Sanchez) & (4/14 @ MIA - Urena)
Justin Verlander, HOU (4/8 vs. NYY - Tanaka) & (4/14 @ SEA - Gonzales)
Zack Greinke, ARI (4/9 vs. TEX - Minor) & (4/14 vs. SD - Lucchesi)
German Marquez, COL (4/9 vs. ATL - Fried) & (4/14 @ SF - Holland)
- Two dominant starts, but both outside of Coors. Tuesday's start vs. Atlanta will be his first Coors start but as long as he keeps the walks down (3 walks in both starts so far), he should be a big time plus this week.
Joey Lucchesi, SD (4/9 @ SF - Holland) & (4/14 @ ARI - Greinke)
- Two plus starts? Both in pitcher's parks? Sign me up.
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY (4/8 @ HOU - Verlander) & (4/14 vs. CHW - Rodon)
- Brutal start of the week but should pick things back up at home against a young Sox team.
Jameson Taillon, PIT (4/8 @ CHC - Lester) & (4/14 @ WAS - Sanchez)
- Two starts away from the confines of PNC Park drop Taillon down a tier this week.
Jon Lester, CHC (4/8 vs. PIT - Taillon) & (4/14 vs. LAA - Cahill)
- Two quality starts, two solid starts. He gets the job done despite the metrics community hating the ground Lester walks on. In points leagues, he's a quality two-start pitcher this week.
Ross Stripling, LAD (4/9 @ STL - Hudson) & (4/14 vs. MIL - Chacin)
- Stripling has been quality so far but has no decision to show for it. With the Dodgers behind him, he should be started in most leagues, even with two strong matchups.
Miles Mikolas, STL (4/8 vs. LAD - Ryu) & (4/14 @ CIN - DeSclafani)
- 2 road starts didn't produce great results, but now isn't the time to panic with him. His ground ball tendencies should play well for him this week.
Madison Bumgarner, SF (4/8 vs. SD - Lauer) & (4/13 vs. COL - Freeland)
- 2 quality starts, one bailed out by his own error after giving up a grand slam. Could we be seeing the old Bumgarner?
Jhouyls Chacin, MIL (4/8 @ LAA - Cahill) & (4/14 @ LAD - Stripling)
- Monday's start is excellent against a barren Angels' offense, but I still think he has a plus week even with a start in Dodger Stadium.
Hyun-Jin Ryu, LAD (4/8 @ STL - Mikolas) & (4/13 vs. MIL - Davies)
- Two quality starts, uptick in strikeouts, could he be finding his healthy form? The Dodgers love to meticulously manage their starts but Ryu should get two cracks this week, one in Busch, the other in Chavez Ravine.
Kyle Freeland, COL (4/8 vs. ATL - Teheren) & (4/13 @ SF - Bumgarner)
- Freeland doesn't have great stuff so he has less of a leash as far as mistakes. He does have a go in Coors Canaveral this week, so unless you're short on starts, he should be a bench candidate. He does have a solid matchup at the end of the week, however.
Marco Gonzales, SEA (4/9 @ KC - Junis) & (4/14 vs. HOU - Verlander)
- One good start, one bad. The Royals early-week start positive could outweigh Sunday's start vs. Houston, but do you want to roll the dice?
Eric Lauer, SD (4/8 @ SF - Bumgarner) & (4/13 @ ARI - Kelly)
- A sparkling outing against the Giants in his first start. Hit around in his second against the D-Backs. He gets another shot at both this week.
Carlos Rodon, CHW (4/8 vs. TB - Snell) & (4/14 @ NYY - Tanaka)
- 15 strikeouts combined in his two starts? Could the slider be back? I alluded to it last month in my AL Breakouts column, but this week, he faces two strong opponents. Temper expectations.
Marco Estrada, OAK (4/8 @ BAL - Cashner) & (4/13 @ TEX - Smyly)
- Two quality starts, both on the road, make this a spotty streamer. Tread lightly, but intrepid owners could benefit.
START AT YOUR OWN RISK
Anibal Sanchez, WAS (4/8 @ PHI - Nola) & (4/14 vs. PIT - Taillon)
Kyle Gibson, MIN (4/9 @ NYM - Vargas) & (4/14 vs. DET - Zimmerman)
Brett Anderson, OAK (4/9 @ BAL - TBA) & (4/14 @ TEX - Miller)
Jake Junis, KC (4/9 vs. SEA - Gonzales) & (4/14 vs. CLE - Kluber)
Jason Vargas, NYM (4/9 vs. MIN - Gibson) & (4/14 @ ATL - Fried)
Jose Urena, MIA (4/9 @ CIN - Castillo) & (4/14 vs. PHI - Nola)
Felix Hernandez, SEA (4/8 @ KC - Bailey) & (4/13 vs. HOU - Peacock)
Max Fried, ATL (4/9 @ COL - Marquez) & (4/14 vs. NYM - Vargas)
Derek Holland, SF (4/9 vs. SD - Lucchesi) & (4/14 vs. COL - Marquez)
Homer Bailey, KC (4/8 vs. SEA - Hernandez) & (4/13 vs. CLE - Clevenger)
Andrew Cashner. BAL (4/8 vs. OAK - Estrada) & (4/13 @ BOS - Price)